The General Sir John Monash Scholarships are Australia’s prestigious postgraduate scholarship program. The Scholarships celebrate one of Australia’s finest leaders.
Each year John Monash Scholarships are awarded to outstanding graduates from Australian universities, who have demonstrated leadership skills, and have a vision for a better Australia.
The Scholarship enables them to undertake Masters or Doctoral degrees at the world’s best universities, towards that vision.
Why apply for a John Monash Scholarship?
A minimum of 10 postgraduate Scholarships are available, each valued at AUD $60,000 per year for a maximum of three years (up to AUD $180,000 ).
John Monash Scholars immediately achieve national and local recognition through the publicity offered to the Scholarships.
Over the longer term, the Scholars are part of a growing community of outstanding young Australian leaders aspiring to advance our nation.
If you think you have a record of achievement and desire to play a leadership role for Australia – apply now, or contact us to discuss an application. The Foundation will be delighted to hear from you.
In awarding John Monash Scholarships, factors considered include:
- Outstanding Intellect – demonstrated by academic excellence (having completed or are about to complete a university degree or degrees with outstanding results, such as an honours degree (with a classification of 1 or 2A) or equivalent. Excellence is also demonstrated through language skills, musical skills and/or publications;
- Leadership – demonstrated and potential – within or outside of an Applicant’s field of study or professional field; Citizenship – community service;
- Program – defined research project or study programme to be conducted at an overseas University;
- The case presented by the applicant of the significance of the applicant’s potential contribution to their field and to the community;
- Referee reports outlining the applicant’s abilities.
The John Monash Scholarships are available for postgraduates to attend universities that are considered to be amongst the global leaders in the field of study. Applicants should identify in their applications up to three universities to which they have sought or would seek acceptance.
To consider applying, a candidate and their referees should believe they have demonstrated excellence in their university degree, together with the ability to lead in the private or public sector. Further, they must provide a compelling case that they can make a major contribution to the advancement of Australia in their subsequent career.
They must believe that completing a post-graduate qualification at an outstanding institution in another country would give them recognition, skills, and networks that equip them for a leadership role in or for Australia in coming decades.
For the ten or more applicants who receive a John Monash Scholarship each year, the benefits are immediate and enduring.
Who Can Apply
To be eligible to apply for a John Monash Scholarship you must:
- Be an Australian Citizen;
- Have completed or be about to complete an undergraduate degree from an Australian University, and;
- Be planning to undertake postgraduate study at an overseas university commencing in the calendar year following the year of application and selection.
The Scholarships support any postgraduate degree however the Applicant must be able to argue the merits of the chosen course and institution.
The John Monash Scholarships are not limited by age, gender, or academic field of study.
Commencement of Studies
The Scholarships are granted for the commencement of the study programme in the calendar year following the year of application and selection.
Above 2014 Scholar Kathryn Roberts with Prof Peter Darvall AO, Chair of the National Selection Panel
Selection Procedure for the Scholarships:
|May – August||Applications open: applications to be submitted online between mid-May and mid-August.|
|End August||Short listing: a national shortlisting panel will review applications and recommend for interview by the State and Territory Selection Panels.|
|September – October||State and Territory interviews: State and Territory based Panels will interview a total of between 80 and 90 applicants and recommend 20-25 Finalists for interview by the National Selection Panel.|
|November||The National Selection Panel, chaired by a Director of the Foundation, is responsible for interviewing Finalists and making recommendations to the Board of the Foundation, who will make the final selection of Scholars.|
Winners of a John Monash Scholarship are informed by the CEO of the Foundation and publically announced in the November. The Scholarships Presentation Ceremony will then be held in the first quarter of the following year.
The decision of the Board of the General Sir John Monash Foundation is final.